Archive for category CaseWare
Closing a client file in CaseWare does not have to be a two-step process. If you would like the client file to close when you close the Document Manager, do this:
- Go to: Tools -> Options
- In the General section, check the box that says, “Close file when Document Manager is closed”
- Click OK
It is often helpful to send a client an Excel copy of the trial balance or any other automatic document. The latest versions of CaseWare provide a very easy way to do this.
- Right-click on the automatic document you wish to export
- Select “Save as Excel file…”
- Choose a destination, enter a filename, and click “Save”
The exported file should look just like the automatic document:
NOTE: The totals and subtotals are NOT formulas.
CaseWare Connector has become an indispensible tool for many of us. In addition to financial statements, I’ve used it for audit workpapers, materiality calculations, and more. Until a colleague shared his tip with me, I only had experience connecting individual mapping numbers, group numbers, and individual accounts. Then I was shown how to create a “calculated mapping” for even more flexibility.
As an example, here is how to create a calculated mapping for total assets:
- In CaseWare, go to Account –> Assign Mapping Numbers
- On the left side of the screen, right-click on an existing mapping number and choose “Properties” or right-click to create a new one. In this example, I have a title mapping called “Assets.”
- For the Behavior property, click the drop-down menu and choose “Calculated”
- In the calculation box, enter the range of mapping numbers needed for this calculation in this format:
For this example, I will use mapping number 10110 through 10330 (all of the assets). So the calculation box should look like this:
- Click OK.
- Click Apply.
The mapping should now look like this:
Now in Excel, you can use the connector to link a cell to this calculated mapping number.
Sometimes we add comments or other documentation in the area at the bottom of an automatic document like this:
We also find that sometimes that commentary text shows up on other automatic documents, like the trial balance for example. There is a way to fix that:
- Go to Tools –> Options –> Documents
- Check the box next to “Allow separate commentary text on trial balance automatic documents”
There are times when you may want to work with CaseWare trial balance data in Excel. To do so is actually quite simple.
- Open the Working Trial Balance in CaseWare
- Open Excel to a blank worksheet
- Using the mouse, click and drag to select the data you want to copy. You can also hit CTRL + A to select everything.
- Goto: Edit -> Copy OR hit CTRL + C to copy the data
- In Excel, hit CTRL + V to paste the data
BONUS: Use the VLOOKUP function in Excel to incorporate the data into an analysis without using CaseWare Connector.