We often obtain or create lists of items in Excel. Just as often, we’d like to be able to easily summarize the list at the bottom by a particular field. For example, in a list of fixed assets, we probably want to create a summary by asset type. To ensure you account for each unique value in the type column, you can use a simple method:
- Select all of the values in the column that you want to base your summary on.
- Copy and paste the cells below the list.
- With the pasted cells still highlighted, go to: Data menu -> Remove Duplicates.
- Click OK on the two dialog boxes that appear.
- You should now have a short list containing only the unique values:
BONUS: Use the SUMIF function to complete the summary!